Small Town Charm
Attica was first platted in 1825 by George Hollingsworth and David Stump. The community grew slowly until the construction of the Wabash and Erie Canal in the late 1840s, Attica being the last stop before the canal connected to the Wabash River. The canal brought people and industry to what was previously a small outpost. The town was incorporated in 1849 and in 1866 achieved city status and elected its first mayor, John Gass.
While the city took off during canal period, the real spark to Attica’s industry was the Wabash and Western Railroad arriving in 1858, followed quickly by two more regional rail lines. Having two significant transportation modes through the City (the Wabash River and the railroad) made Attica a hub for commerce. Most early industry revolved around agriculture, and trade of goods, the first grist mill in Attica was constructed in 1830. Warehouses and shipping were prevalent through the Canal period and into railroad era. Additional industries included wagon and carriage production, farm implements, several grain elevators and flour mills. Brick making has a long history in Attica, with several small brick works dating back to 1834. Most notable was Poston Brick Company which was established in Attica in 1907 and operated for over 50 years.
The largest industry in Attica started with the National Car Coupler Company, which built a factory here in 1906. In 1917, the name of the original company was changed to the Harrison Steel Casting Company and remains one of the largest employers in the area today. The other principal industries today also include C&D Batteries, and Myers Steel Fabrication Company.